Sick azaelea

lynnyb(9)September 26, 2012

I planted a new azaelea 2 years ago and it flowered well but later in the year the leaves turned reddish brown with dark veins. I forgot how sickly it was and just left it. The same thing has happened this year. Does anyone know what this is and is there anything I can do to save the plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You're going to have to help us help you, lynn. This is sort of like a patient going to a doctor saying, "I've got a headache. What's wrong with me and what are you going to do to fix it?"

Do you have the azalea in an appropriate environment (soil pH, sun exposure, water, etc.), does the soil drain properly, what kind of after care did the plant receive, what kind of azalea is it, and what is your location. That kind of stuff.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 4:17PM
lynnyb(9)

It's in a slightly raised be that gets sun most of the day. There are plenty of rhododendrons and azaleas thriving, close by and we are in the Lake District, UK with slightly acidic soil. We took a large phormium (8 foot high) that had been battered by heavy snowfall, out of that spot before planting the azalea. I can't remember the name of the type of azalea but it has creamy yellow flowers.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:19AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

That sound like the fall foliage of many deciduous azaleas. All yellow azaleas are deciduous*, so you are probably just looking at a feature, not a problem. In the spring the new leaves are a beautiful green, slightly wrinkled and slightly hairy.

*There are a number of evergreen azaleas with flowers of light cream to greenish yellow, but nothing approaches the yellows found in the deciduous azaleas.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 5:45PM
lynnyb(9)

The azalea is Knap-hill-hybrid Daviesii and the foliage looked bad in July so I don't think it was normal leaf fall. Unfortunately I didn't see it earlier in the year as I was away.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 5:55AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

The reddish brown foliage is the normal fall foliage color. If a plant is not happy in its situation such as not enough light or water, it will go into dormancy early and show this fall foliage.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:06AM
Matt Webster

I also have a sick azalea.
I'm in the Atlanta area. It's a well established, mature azalea. It's trimmed, but even being trimmed, it's 5' tall. It's a pink/red one time spring bloomer. It gets probably a little more sun than you'd prefer an azalea to get, but given its size and that it's established, I don't think that's been a problem. It's well mulched with cyprus, and previously with pine needles. Evergreen.

We moved into the house in April, so I don't know the variety or exactly how old it is.

I cut a small dead brown spot from it in May or so, but in the last few days I noticed this large spot- probably 20% or more of the plant. Is there anything I can do to save the plant?

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™