R. 'Spicy nutmeg' source -mail order

hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)September 3, 2013

I am looking for a mail order source for Rhododendron 'Spicy Nutmeg'. Does anyone here know of one? I tried searching for it but could hardly find any info let alone a source.

Seems like such an outstanding variety but where to get it?
Thanks GW :0)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Based on the name I thought at first it was a tender edgeworthii hybrid as are commonly only grown on the zn 10/9 coastal strip of CA & OR.
But it's a northeastern hybrid by someone called Hall. Well, welcome to the world of trying to obtain rare hybrids. For everything Rarefind or EPS offers, there are many more that will probably never again seen the light of commercial trade. In fact really infuriating is that a number of hybrids - I've counted at least 5 over the years - were "east coast bred" and are now only in cultivation in Europe or Vancouver. For example...'Mildred Amateis' - a hybrid between the aforementioned spicy-scented R. edgeworthii and a much hardier lepidote. Would be smashing in my zn 7 garden but seems not to be in the US trade anymore.

Since it is listed in a garden tour in the NE...the "Wrightington's", you might make inquiries to see if they could send cuttings to Kathy Van Veen to be rooted. Consider yourself lucky, that's a better lead than I've had on various hybrids I've sought.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 17:35

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 5:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)

Thanks for the response/infos David, Happy Gardening

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Is this a rhododendron?
Moved here in July. Still trying to figure this out....
ssmo
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™