Rhododendrons/Lime

gardenbug(8b)September 25, 2008

I want to add some lime to my front lawn this fall. However, I have a lovely row of recently planted rhodies bordering one side of my lawn. How far should I keep away from them when adding lime to the lawn please? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Cadence, if you are applying just to your lawn, staying out of the drip line of your rhododendrons, you should be fine. I don't know of a formula to give you in measurement/feet, but staying outside the dripline (and you could always add a couple of feet to stay 'safe') would prevent lime over the root zone of your rhododendrons. Be careful if using a broadcast spreader for your lime that you don't overshoot your target grass :)

I don't lime grass every year, but the years I have applied lime I haven't had a problem with it affecting acid loving plants/rhododendrons in borders or beds.

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 1:01PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

It also depends on slope and drainage. Avoid areas above the rhododendrons where the lime can wash down.

Avoid using lime near rhododendrons in low spots. This normally isn't a problem since rhododendrons need good drainage and are normally not planted in low spots.

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 1:57PM
gardenbug(8b)

Great information, thanks. I've decided since I love my rhodies so much that I'm not going to lime my front lawn. I'll just add lime to the backyard where I have a lilac tree, butterfly bush and hydrangea. I don't think the lime will affect these.

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 8:31PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Typical blue and pink hydrangeas tend to be pink when the soil is alkaline such as with lime. If the soil is acidic and aluminum is present, they tend to be blue. Unfortunately aluminum is toxic to rhododendrons and azaleas, so the aluminum sulfate that is used on hydrangeas to encourage hydrangeas to be blue will eventually kill rhododendrons and azaleas.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
Tiny white specks on Rhododendron?
I have a 6 year old rhododendron (Virginia Richards)...
gardenbug
March Madness - Rhode Rejuvination
Cleaning up a new to me property that was previously...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Typewriter Letter Pillows
Serena & Lily
Lime Green Slotted Serving Spoon
$12.99 | zulily
Lotus XL Grill with Transport Bag
$349.95 | FRONTGATE
Citrus Basket by Alessi
$135.00 | Lumens
Indoor Runner Rug: Satori Lime 2' 5" x 7' 9" Plush
Home Depot