Azalea?

punkin_tbSeptember 26, 2006

We moved to southern Louisiana in April. Our house has a plant on the south side that I think is an azalea. It never bloomed so I'm not sure. While weeding I found out it was still in the pot. It's grown to over five feet high and spread out. Would like to get it out of the pot and into the ground but don't know what the correct time for doing this would be. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

If it is an azalea, now is a very good time. Azaleas can be moved most any time, but when dormant is the best time. Be careful not to disturb the roots too much or let them dry out.

This plant has a potentially serious problem when the roots reach the container and start circling inside the pot. They become pot bound or root bound. These roots must be cut so they don't continue to grow and start strangling other roots. Many apparently healthy plants die when the roots start strangling each other. To prevent this, it is necessary to remove the plant from the container and cut the roots from the soil surface to the bottom at several points around the root ball to cut any of these circling roots. When working with roots, make sure the plant is thoroughly watered. Any roots that dry out will die.

Then spread the roots out before planting. Water thoroughly after planting and for several weeks until the shock of transplanting wears off.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™