Milk and Molasses

tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)March 6, 2014

A very interesting article from Mother Earth News. The benefits of molasses in the garden aren't news to me, but milk? Didn't know that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk and molasses

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crista(Sunset 13)

Interesting article! I've used milk before as a spray on my roses to effectively rid them of powdery mildew - has to be done in the morning so that the moisture doesn't sit overnight on the leaves. Makes sense that molasses would work on a compost pile - will have to try that!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:14PM
BasilGirl(9a)

Hmmm. I wonder if milk and molasses would work on keep squash bugs at bay. I have employed (planted) every old wives tale I could find in my "squash neighborhood," including jicama, catnip, radishes, dill and nasturtium. I'm about to add borage too. I was decimated last year but partly because I went to vacation for two weeks so wasn't home to protect my pretty plants.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 1:32AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

So the radish idea, planting radish seeds around the squash vine, didn't work? I had hopes for that one.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:53AM
BasilGirl(9a)

Its too soon to tell about the radishes; I did plant them underneath this season. I won't know until May or June-ish when the little buggers start showing themselves. It is my fervent hope that I won't see any at all :-)

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:03PM
toucan(9)

Whenever I've used milk in the garden, I got ants galore. Same for egg shells. How about your experience with molasses? Seems like it could attract other bugs.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:02PM
timber334(9)

My experience with molasses is in general is less bugs. I used a couple of sow thistles as test plants that were next to each other. The on that wasn't sprayed had hundreds of aphids, the one that was sprayed 2x a week for 3 weeks was bigger, less powdery mildew, only a few winged aphids and no youngsters. And about double the blooms.

So I have started using it on my tomatoes and no aphids so far, just a few winged ones here and there.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™