Second Flowering Season?

touchoflightSeptember 8, 2008

A good friend of mine has said that Rhodedendrons can have a second flowering season if you take care of them properly. If this is true, I was wondering how you can do that.

I have followed the instructions that my friend has given me and have not gotten results. I have tried them for two years. She is as perplexed as I considering that she has had wonderful results from her methods.

I would love any suggestions and comments relating to this topic. It has beautiful bright orange blossoms that are worth seeing twice a year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I don't know of anything that will make them bloom reliably a second time same year. Occasionally some do, other years they do not and it seems to be weather dependent. The second round of flowers in Fall is also thought to be characteristic of particular plants and not necessarily all plants of that cultivar.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 4:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

This is not normal and when it does occur it usually results in mediocre flowers from otherwise good buds that would bloom beautifully in the spring. It occurs when the weather has weird temperature cycles.

The one exception is Encore Azaleas. (Azaleas are a type of rhododendron) They are bred to do this and will do it fairly well in the south, not very well in the north.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™