how late is too late?

veryzerSeptember 5, 2008

I ordered a pjm from a local nursery and was told it would probably arrive later in the fall. I know fall is a good planting time, but at what point would I tell the nursery "thanks, but no thanks....it's too late in the season"?

Also:

I have a spring-planted pjm that's thriving, but the trunk is loose in relation to the root ball--almost like a tooth. Is this a cause for concern?

P.S. Thanks much rhodyman. I dug the aforementioned pjm up and it was doing well. However, one of my cunningham's whites had a rootball that was dry but for the outermost layer. The potting soil was like sawdust. No wonder it fell to drooping constantly. I hope it becomes more optimistic now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

I have ordered some and they will be shipped the week of September 22nd. I would not want them much later than that in zone 5.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 10:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

You can plant them any time the ground is not frozen. Only accept plants from a similar or colder climate. Plants from the South should not be planted in the north in the Fall. They won't harden off properly. If you plant in the Fall, mulch very well. Keep the mulch away from the trunk of the plant but make sure it is thick over the roots so they don't get frost heave. Ideally add a heavy layer of mulch after the ground freezes.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™