Great idea for tomatoes and ???

tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)March 24, 2013

This sounds like a terrific idea to me. Like some of the commenters, it also seems like it would work for other veggies, too. Maybe eggplant, peppers, some vining veggies like cukes, squash. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Water & Feed Tomatoes with this method

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

tf, Google 'olla gardening', the concept you have posted is simply a giant olla. Better put a lid on that bucket or you will lose more to evaporation than you'll get down to the plants.

It's a great idea, I've been using olla's for a while and like the way it works. The trouble, at least for me, with a 5-gallon bucket is the amount of space it would take in the garden.

My olla's are either: unglazed clay 'wine coolers', often found at Goodwill or Savers for cheap or, as in the ones in this picture, two large clay pots, silicon gel'd together with a cork in the bottom pot. Voila! olla.......

This post was edited by marymcp on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 10:52

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:00AM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Too big for your yard? Good grief, you have a *huge* yard! Yep, I've known about the olla watering system for a long time; have a lot of 'em I got at the same places you got yours. The difference in the large bucket/trash can method is that there's compost in the bottom so the water wicks slowly through and carries 'fertilizer' with it. I do agree about the evap issue, though; right now it's dry enough to set the air on fire. :(

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:03PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

I don't think I said my yard was too small, I said it would take too much space in the garden. My raised beds are 4'x6' and a bucket that size is too large for the garden bed. That's all. It's not a bad idea, I was simply trying to spread the word on olla's because I like the concept.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™