General corksrew vine care

redfordazMarch 24, 2010

Hello,

We are landscaping our back yard and I really want to plant corkscrew vine on the stucco columns of our back patio. The three colums go up to the balcony. It gets S/SW exposure and based on what I have read I think they will do well. So is it bad to have them grow on/near the stucco of the house? Will I need a trellis? Or are there other ways to get it to grow up the colums, like wire etc.? How often should I water? Is it terribly invasive? I'm new to vines so any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance, your help is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tugbrethil

Sorry I'm so late with this. I couldn't figure out what a corkscrew vine was, but I finally woke up and googled it, and found out that I knew it as snail vine (for the flower buds). It should do fine on the column, but it will need a trellis or wires to climb--the stems don't wrap with any strength any item wider than a half inch in diameter. If you use wire, use the galvanized steel wiggly kind, if you can find it: it helps the stems to get a grip, and is stron enough and long lasting enough to be useful. Plastic coated steel wire can rust through quickly, and aluminum wire is rarely strong enough. Galvanized chicken wire is the strongest alternative to a trellis.

Hope it helps!
Kevin : )

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 12:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redfordaz

Thanks Kevin! That helps!

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™