No Blooms & Pruning Azalea

jeff3298October 14, 2009

My Azaleas this year had no blooms which is very unusal for all the bushes we have. They grew fine but no blooms, is it becaused I pruned them at the wrong time last year?

When do you prune them and can I prune them now? I need to prune them back alot.

Help! I miss the flowers!

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

Prune after they flower in the spring. If you prune now you'll eliminate next year's blooms. You should be able to see the buds for next year now.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 5:11AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Azaleas should require little pruning other than removal of weak or dead wood and whatever trimming is necessary to keep them shapely. If you pruned last year and feel they need to be pruned back a lot this year, perhaps they are planted in the wrong location where there isn't really room for them, or the wrong varieties are planted.

Azaleas set their buds for the next seasons blooms in late summer. If you want to prune and still allow required weeks for new growth to emerge and mature in time to set buds, plan it as mainegrower said - immediately after bloom.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 10:47AM
jeff3298

These Azeleas have been in this location for over 30 years and bloom abundantly every year. I must have butchered them last year when I pruned them at the wrong time. They are growing onto and covering the walkway to the front porch.

I will let them grow, I would rather have the blooms and let us walk on the lawn!

I will prune after the spring bloom!

Thanks
Jeff

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™