Please help me identify this plant

ldramey01March 22, 2013

I saw this plant at some hotel grounds in North Scottsdale and would love to have one in my yard too. Does anyone know the name of this plant with the pretty red blooms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GeeS 9b

It's a Penstemon, there are many kinds, including some that grow wild here in the VOTS. They put on a nice show in early Spring, then sit and do nothing much until next Spring.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 6:23PM
kriklaf

Might be this one: http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/fieldguide/plantae/penstemon_subulatus.html

Or maybe an Indian Paintbrush of some sort? This looks a lot like a flower I've seen around Tucson, but I don't know its name.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 6:28PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Very nice! It's definitely Penstemon eatonii, the so-called firecracker penstemon. It's one of the several great desert penstemons that thrive here. I've grown it for many years in my previous garden here in Scottsdale and have no excuse for not having it in my current one. Tsk tsk tsk on me, LOL. The key to keeping them happy is to give them barely, BARELY enough water in summer to stay alive. They enter a sort of heat-induced semi dormancy in summer and too much water can cause rot. They look tired in summer but perk up again in autumn and look fabulous at this time of year.

Let us know if you get one and how it works out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penstemon eatonii on Desert Tropicals website

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™