why is it blooming now??

sorie6(6b ok.)October 1, 2013

This azalea is blooming now. I thought they bloomed in the spring?
We just moved into this house 3 mo. ago. nothing had been taken care of plant wise.
Wondering what kind they are. Anyone here know? I'll post a pic of the flower in reply.
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sorie6(6b ok.)

flower

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:36PM
akamainegrower

Certain varieties of rhododendrons and azaleas have a tendency to bloom again in the fall as well as in the spring. It dosen't necessarily happen every year, but when weather conditions and rainfall are right, it does. It's not really a desireable characteristic because the fall blooms are often not as developed as the more usual spring ones.

There are 1000's of varieties of evergreen azaleas, many, many of them pink. Someone may recognize yours, but it's not likely from a photo.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 5:22AM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Thank you. I sure hope it blooms in the spring. Should I fertlize it? If so when?

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 7:33AM
akamainegrower

It's really not a good idea to fertilize without a soil test first, but probably this advice is ignored by 99% of all gardeners. Best time to fertilize is twice: in the very early spring before bloom and just after when new growth is stongest. Use Hollytone or another organic type intended for azaleas and rhododendrons at 50% of the amount recommended on the package.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 5:42AM
gardenapprentice

It's obvious you have encore azaleas they are a new kind of azalea tthat can rebloom 2 or sometimes 3 times a year, as long as you see buds forming after they bloom your azaleas will be ok

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 6:54PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Thanks I've read the Encore's rebloom. Great. I love it.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 9:54PM
gardengal48

It's obvious you have encore azaleas

Sorry, but it's not obvious at all!! First, Encore azaleas tend to have much larger leaves than the one shown in the photo and they are borderline hardy in zone 6.

As akamainegrower stated, it is not at all uncommon for rhododendrons and azaleas (and a bunch of other, non-related plants) to throw a few blossoms in late summer/early fall. This is very common after a long warm and dry summer........the plants enter a pseudo-dormancy as a coping mechanism and when cooler and wetter conditions occur with the shortened daylight of fall, they acknowledge this as spring-like weather and bloom accordingly. It is not guaranteed, always a sparser bloom than the normal bloom season and seldom affects the shrub's ability to bloom on schedule.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™