full afternoon sun in texas

lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)October 7, 2005

Can anyone recommend which variety of Azeleas that can tolerate full afternoon sun esp during hot Texas summers? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Iguess noone really knows to that answer. I came across one called Tutti Fruitti. It might work...

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 9:13PM
stevied(8b/9a FL)

I was told by a local nurseyman that, here in north Florida, the indicas, like formosa, had the best chance of surviving in full sun. The theory was that the bigger azaleas can produce their own shade, which can help to prevent their roots from drying out.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 9:10AM
gardengal48

Evergreen azaleas, even in my mild PNW summer sun, simply do not care for a full sun location. While they will live and even thrive for a period of time, deterioration is inevitable. I can't imagine too many hybrids, regardless of parentage, doing very well for any length of time in full-on afternoon sun in Texas. You might consider deciduous azaleas - they are far more sun tolerant than the evergreen species or hybrids and actually prefer considerable sun to shade, plus have the bonus as being less mildew prone in this situation.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™