Are these leaves sick or normal?

emme-dc(7b DC)October 30, 2012

Last spring I planted two new azaleas. One seems very happy, and has grown a lot. But I recently noticed its leaves appear speckled and whitish. See photo. There are no other signs of sickliness that I recognize--is this some kind of normal seasonal change in the foliage, or a disease? I have an older azalea not far away, and its leaves show a similar change, but less pronounced, and to no ill effect that I have seen.

The other is in a less shady spot and has unfortunately suffered from soil drying out a few times since I brought it home. It is also showing the speckled foliage, in fact more pronounced. So since the degree of speckling seems correlated with stress, it occurred to me it might actually be a sign of a problem. Please don't tell me it's deadly, tho!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

There's no photo I can see, but a whitish speckling usually means damage from lacebugs. Look at the leaf undersides. If it is lacebug damage, you'll see spots of shiny brown - the evidence of lacebug excrement. This is not a lethal problem, but if not prevented can weaken the plant if it goes on year after year. Systemic insecticides work, as do some sprays. Your County Extension Service or state agriculture department can recommend treatment options and the proper timing - an important consideration.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 5:26AM
More Discussions
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
Azalea Sunny Side Up
Anyone know of a mail order nursery that carries Aromi...
shorebill
Mid-Atlantic: What are the most evergreen azaleas?
Unfortunately most of my azaleas are not named. But...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
help! trying to identify the issue...
I live in Tulsa Oklahoma (zone 7) and purchased these...
elmbelle
Tiny white specks on Rhododendron?
I have a 6 year old rhododendron (Virginia Richards)...
gardenbug
Sponsored Products
E27 25W 3920LM 98LED SMD 5730 LED Corn Bulb
ParrotUncle
Vineyard Forged Iron Sink Pedestal
Signature Hardware
Tufted Leaves Rug 10' x 14' - STEEL
$2,689.00 | Horchow
Luceplan | Berenice Floor Lamp
$496.00 | YLighting
AICO Furniture - Imperial Court Rectangular Leg Dining Table -...
Great Furniture Deal
Crosley Veranda Single Glider Chair - CO1005A-GR
$249.00 | Hayneedle
Super Chill Wine Cooler
$64.95 | FRONTGATE
Timeless Elegance2-Light Bronze Wall Sconce
PLFixtures
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™