Crane fly

azlady(z9 AZ)March 19, 2009

We've just moved into a new house in Tucson and the area around the home is full of Crane Flies (looks like an overgrown mosquito with daddy longlegs). Are these just a seasonal thing and leave in few weeks? Is there any way to prevent them from nearing the house w/o killing them? I know they are a good food source for birds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annoysmom(z9az)

We live in Chandler on a waterway and last year the crane flies were unbelievable. We could hardly go out on our patio. I noticed they are coming back this year although they aren't so bad yet. There is nothing you can do to get rid of them...just hope the winter is cold enough to kill them off.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 1:24PM
lotsaplants(Az zone 9)

Our house is full of them too...I try to catch as many as I can and put them outside.
Yes, they're seasonal and will soon be gone, thank goodness.
I'm tired of them flying into my face...lol!!!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 11:11PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Adult crane flies do not have mouth parts. They live long enough to mate and lay eggs. They emerge in Jan/Feb from larva that have emerged from eggs laid in moist ground. Places like natural compost along waterways, woodlands and man made compost piles. Control these areas and you control this short lived nuisance. The normal number of Crane Flies at one time is a drop in the bucket to the number of Fish Flies that hatch each May along Lake St. Claire just N. of Detroit, Mi. In some communities they had to use a front-end loaders to clear up the died flies. Feel better now??

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 6:43PM
juju222(z9 AZ)

Yeh, we have a few too. Back in California, we had a similar flying insect, but we called it a "mosquito hawk." Is this the same thing?

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:17PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

That is one common name for crane flies.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™