Buddha Belly (Ventricosa)

lucy(6)January 22, 2007

What are the chances that a ventricosa that accidentally got watered when it shouldn't have, and subsequently pretty well all dried out, will come back with new leaves, etc.? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkz5ia

Depends if the root system was killed by drying out. And ventricosa can take moist conditions....so 'accidently got watered when it shouldn't have' means little.

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 12:19PM
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

it all depends on whats going on underground. You'll know in 2 weeks or so. Mine sufered a pretty harsh chill outside and dropped all leaves... brought it inside , watered well days one... and seeing signs of new growth now... you may be able to do the same. The reason for watering less is to force mutations so mentioned above... no worries for accidently watering as long as it drains well. Oh! how large of a plant ar we talking... the larger the rootball the more likely the inner sections survived the drying and more likely to survive.
Best of luck
CJ

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 9:49PM
lucy(6)

I'm sorry, maybe I was unclear. I meant it got overwatered and as a result leaves dried up... and I assume it was a sign of 'death' (or certainly a loud protest against overwatering). It is in a pretty gritty fast draining mix.

Bookmark   January 23, 2007 at 5:51AM
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

If leaves are truly dried out...clip them off... you should see signs of new growth soon enough. 2 weeks is about the time mine resprout after I clipped off several areas tat didnt like the frost.
CJ

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 4:04PM
webgator(9 FL)

What were the temps the few days before you noticed the leaves falling off?

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Moso vs Giant Japanese Timber
Phyllostachys heterocycla f. pubescens "Moso"...
vancleaveterry
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™