Do I winterize my azaleas?

miriah(z5MI)November 2, 2005

Hello,

I have two small azaleas planted under my weeping white pine tree. Is it necessary to winterize them or are they pretty self sustaining? I have no idea what kind they are, they bloom the most beautiful lilac flowers in the spring, that's why I planted them. I must admit they haven't done much growing in the two years they have been in the ground. So now I am wondering if I am doing something, or not doing, I should be to promote growth.

Thanks in advance.

Miriah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Miriah, azaleas/rhododendrons are not especially fast growing, and will often take two or three years in the ground to become well established.

Of course I don't have to worry about winter protection here, but it's my understanding that flower buds are about 10 degrees less hardy than growth buds....If your plants are blooming well and the flower buds are not being damaged by your winter temperatures, your azaleas may be getting all the protection they need under your pine.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 1:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miriah(z5MI)

Thank you. I have just started redoing this garden and since I am having a wedding at my place next year I want to make sure EVERYTHING is doing it's best. I will keep close watch of the temps this winter. If they dip real low I will throw some burlap around them if only to break the wind.
Miriah

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™