Flowers and Bamboo

mzboone(8a)January 23, 2014

Hello Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with planting Flowers with Bamboo? I live in NE North Carolina.
However, I live in a very woody area, but with large amounts of cleared land. (Out in the Country)

Ive tried to trim back my bamboo. But since its the winter time, they aren't really sprouting right now.

But I really wanted to plant a "Crawling" or "Quick Growing" Flower in the spring that might inhibit some of the Over Run Bamboo area. Before they really start growing again.

I cut them back as much as I could last summer. But I really want to use the space for other Flowers/Plants. I know Bamboo can be really hard to get rid of. But I really wanted to plant Flowers? Any Suggestions, before the Warm weather arrives? - Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Planting flowers can look nice, but it will do nothing to inhibit the spread of running bamboo. In addition, cutting it back only leaves the rhizomes intact and they will just keep on spreading. If you want to control your bamboo, you need to maintain a perimeter with regular root pruning and/or bamboo barrier.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 4:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pcan

I planted Lavender Verbena around my bamboo in 2012. The reason I did is because the bamboo had not filled in the area encompassed by the barrier so I wanted to fill the blank space. Lavender Verbena is an annual here but grows like a weed so it filled in fast. But in the fall I pulled it out and in 2013 the bamboo filled the area in so there was no room to plant, I suspect if the verbena was a perennial here the bamboo would have choked it out anyway, blocking the sun and eventually killing it.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Sponsored Products
Bougainvillea napkins (yellow/blue), set of 6
Origin Crafts
La Stanza Dello Scirocco Cachepot by Alessi
$216.00 | Lumens
Ella Vase in Moss
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Shape Poppy Light Pink
$39.97 | Home Depot
Lily Art Print - 16" x 16"
Grandin Road