Hawaiian Sunset Vine (Stictocardia beraviensis)

grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)March 21, 2011

Hi everyone,

I got a cutting of "Hawaiian Sunset Vine" (Stictocardia beraviensis) in a plant trade last autumn. I potted it up and have kept it outside since then every single day except the two nights of record cold in mid-February. Below are a couple of pics of the blooms it's making this week.

If you've grown it before in the warm-winter areas of AZ, please share your experiences good or bad. I've potted it into larger and larger pots since I got it and it's made good progress, though I wouldn't (yet!) call it a "vine", though everything I've read swears it's a house-eater, which sounds good to me.

I plan on planting it in the ground in sun with automatic irrigation, and then taking cuttings of it in early summer in case it doesn't survive the winter (or summer, LOL) but I'd love to hear from anyone who has grown it around here. I LOVE the colors and I really like how it hasn't been very annoyed with this year's cool winter.

In any case, take a look and enjoy the pics, and wish the plant good luck, LOL. We'll see how it does.

Take care,

Grant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Wow! Nice plant Grant. I have no experience but appreciate the eye candy. Good luck to you and your lovely.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 8:34AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Thanks, Mary. We'll see how it does. So far it seems really happy these last six months or so.

Thanks for taking a look and commenting. I'll post updates good or bad, LOL.

Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 7:10PM
azant(10a)

Grant, if any of those flowers ever set seed, let me know, i would like to try that one! I have plenty of different seeds i can trade ya.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 12:26PM

Azant, will do. If you'd like a cutting, let me know. The plant is still small (and was started from a stem cutting) but it's supposed to be a house eater (rampant) so I'm HOPING to have more than I can deal with by mid-summer.

Take care,
Grant
ps: love swapping seeds too!

Here is a link that might be useful: My little garden March 2011

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 1:03PM

A friend was asking me for an update on this plant, so I thought I'd post it here too. I planted it in the ground in April and it's really taking off! It's finally started making aggressive, grabbing vines that are doing a good job climbing up the metal arbor I provided for it. It gets a good deep drink three times a week and is in full bore sun all day long.

I have really high hopes for it now that it's in the ground for a couple of months and aggressively climbing. I know the summer is still young (and not officially started, LOL), but so far so good. Hopefully I'll have seeds or cuttings to share by autumn.

Take care all,
Grant

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 1:44PM
newtoucan

Would love to swap for some cuttings. Have plenty of seeds to swap too.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:04AM
crista(Sunset 13)

Gorgeous vine! But on off topic question here: What kind of bug is sitting on the top of the blossom? Is it a good guy?

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:57AM

Thanks all, I'll post again here if/when I've got some cuttings to share and when I've proven to myself that this plant thrives here through the summer. So far so good. The bug is a milkweed beetle or milkweed bug. They do feed on milkweeds and their relatives (everything from oleanders through stapeliads and native milkweeds too) so if you have to classify them, they're probably 'bad guys', but I just leave them to do their thing.

Take care and happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed bug information

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 7:56PM
ramatheson

I am new to gardening for the most part, but would love seeds from this if you get some! I have some for trade of other plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 8:04PM
crista(Sunset 13)

Oh, a bad guy bug for me is something that's going to try and hurt the plant in my veggie garden! Squash vine borers and the like. Thanks for the ID.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 8:00PM
desertplumeriasaz(9A)

Grant,

Just ordered one of these off eBay and it finally arrived. I'm stoked and think I have a great spot for it where its pretty much in the shade. I still have it in the house as I don't want to shock it with the extreme temps were having this week, but how is yours doing? Still have it in full sun?

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:18AM

Congratulations on your plant, DesertPlumie. Keep everyone posted on how it does.

Mine has been in the ground since April in full bore full sun all day long and it's thriving. It's started sending up nice, vigorous grabbing vinelike branches and tons of new foliage so it seems very happy so far, mid-June. It's on a drip and gets a good soaking three times a week.

It seems really, really happy, but we'll see how it looks in August, or September, LOL. Lookin' good right now, though. Keep us posted on yours--this is a hard time to transition plants from other climates as you obviously know. Have fun and post updates!

Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:02PM
KKGRHM(7B)

Does anyone have any seed or cuttings for this plant? I would like to get a start. I have Aristolochia gigantea, Aristolochia ringens, Aristolochia elegans, Passiflora edulis 'Purple passion', Beaumontia grandiflora that I can trade. All are plants and not seed.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:56AM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Hey, Grant & Deet - How did this vine do for you, did it make it through summer last year?

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:33AM

I have to say I cannot recommend this plant as a landscape for this area, despite those gorgeous, gorgeous blooms. My two main reasons are that it only bloomed for a few brief weeks in spring, and then despite having a frost-free winter in my garden (even basil and coleus came through just fine) it didn't survive the "winter". It was fun while it lasted though. It might be good as a pot plant indoors in winter and then out for summer, but as a landscape plant my one specimen didn't cut it. If others have experience here in the Valley with it in the ground, don't be shy. It could have just been the location I gave it, or the treatment it got, etc.

I've replaced it with good old mile-a-minute vine (Merremia dissecta) that I started from seed that old Mr. Baker Sr. gave me several years ago. It's a much better option for me, and it's already starting its looooooong bloom season.

Fun to test drive and discuss different plants though, isn't it? Happy gardening everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics (so far) from my garden April 2012

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:32PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Grant, your flowers are gorgeous!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 2:37PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Hey Grant, do you know what bug that is in the first pic? I have lots of them and wonder if they are friend or foe? Something is sucking on my ripening tomatoes and I'm thinking this little bugger is the culprit.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:41AM

Thanks all. :) Mary, I've been told that beetle is a "milkweed beetle" which feeds on milkweeds and their relatives (like the huge oleander hedge in my neighbor's yard, plus anything in the milkweed family like plumerias, some stapeliads, etc). I don't know if they ever venture onto tomatoes etc., but maybe one of our members knows?

Happy gardening everyone!
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:46AM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Thanks for the reply, Grant, too bad on that vine!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:32AM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

That bug looks suspiciously like an assassin bug. Their colors and markings vary quite a lot, but this one is very similar. It falls in the 'good' camp - if that's what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Assassin bug

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Rubber plant
I would like to transplant my rubber plant from a pot...
jnine
Desert Botanical Garden Spring Sale
FYI, their Bi-Annual Plant Sale is this weekend... Link...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Yaupon Holly
Someone reccomended yaupon holly as a good substitute...
colinhanke
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Sponsored Products
Hula Bath Bar by Philips Forecast Lighting
$198.00 | Lumens
Laguna Chrome 8-Inch Pendant
$142.52 | Bellacor
Kidwise Aloha Bounce House - KE-MN1139-13
Hayneedle
'Hawaiian Islands' Flour Sack Towel - Set of Two
$13.99 | zulily
Hula Girl Bottle Topper
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Tully's Hawaiian Blend Coffee,Vue Cup Portion Pack for Keurig Vue Brewing System
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Fireside Patio Mats Rugs Hawaiian Blue 9 ft. x 12
$79.99 | Home Depot
Polynesia Tiki Candles - Set of 4
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™