Hong Kong Orchid Tree

immobilus(9a)March 14, 2013

My Hong Kong Orchid Tree planted late last summer is still dormant. The branches are very brittle and scratching the bark does not reveal any green. Is this normal, should the tree have begun leafing out by now? Should I contact the nursery?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

Mine froze to the ground. :( It's coming back, but just from the roots. I'm pulling it and trying again, but this winter, the trunk will be wrapped at the slightest threat of frost.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:03AM
AJBB(9b)

Your tree is most likely dead, especially if it was in the ground for less than a year. The Hong Kong Orchid Tree can't take temps under 28.

Consider a different orchid tree that will tolerate the cold of the Sonoran desert, like the Anacacho Orchid tree or Chihuahua Orchid trees. Although I've never grown one, a Mexican Orchid Tree will likely work as well.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:46PM
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ

Mine is starting to leaf out and it was never protected this winter. It got as cold as 26 over here.

How big is your tree?

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:03AM
goldie11

My Hong Kong orchid has been in the ground 1 1/2 years. Got zapped in the frost. Had Christmas tree lights wrapped around the trunk and up into some of the branches. No buds yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. Northeast Phoenix.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 6:58PM

Min is about as tall as that but the trunk is about twice the size of yours and shoots are growing everywhere now. It's been on the ground for 2 years now.

Have you tried breaking any of the branches closer to the trunk to see if they're still green or at least not brittle?

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:31AM
immobilus(9a)

Yes, I did. I'm thinking its probably a goner. I bought it for $60 at AZ green things in tucson. I thought I lost a lot of things actually but my crape myrtles are leafing out, tecoma stans is coming up from the root, and butterfly bush is growing like crazy.

I'm really bummed. It was beautiful when I planted, and yes the limbs are brittle. Goldie, I think the trunk on mine is about twice as thick as yours but its not as branchy.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™