Sudden & Total Yellowing of Azalea Leaves

lawmurNovember 26, 2009

Suddenly, all four of my mature azaleas have yellowed. Maybe 20% of the leaves in late October. I have never seen this before. I'm sure this is not chlorosis and I see no sign of lace bugs. Some of the leaves remain green on the tips but their is no veining.

Has anyone experienced this? Better yet, does anyone have an idea what the cause is?

Thanks, LawMur

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Like all evergreen plants, evergreen azaleas periodically lose some of their foliage, and the leaves may turn yellow, red, or purple before they fall. Often the only leaves that remain are those that surround the flower buds at the tips of the branches. This characteristic is linked to the genetics of the parents used to breed garden azaleas. The degree of leaf coloration or loss is a function of parentage and not the severity of the winter. In unusually cold winters, certain azaleas may lose more leaves than they would in mild winters.

All of the evergreen azaleas are native to Asia. They appear to be evergreen because they grow two sets of leaves each year. Evergreen azaleas have dimorphic leaves, known as spring leaves and summer leaves. The spring leaves unfold at the beginning of the growing season and are dropped in autumn. Summer leaves emerge in early summer and are smaller, thicker, darker, and more leathery than spring leaves. They remain on the plant during the dormant period and drop in the spring, however, summer leaves may persist for several years in warm climates. Some "evergreen" azaleas are deciduous in colder climates. Sometimes this is called being semievergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™