cunningham's whites stressed

veryzerNovember 21, 2008

I planted two cunningham's whites in the spring and they did relatively well all year. We've had a bit of a cold snap with the temp. dropping to about 15 degrees and their leaves are starting to roll. This isn't typical is it? I have about an inch of mulch around them and they are pretty well protected from the wind. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

This is 100% typical. The leaves should roll when it is cold and unroll when it gets warmer. It is their way to keep from loosing water through the pores (stomata) in the back surface of the leaf.

Make sure the mulch isn't touching the trunk. If it is, it increases the chances voles will girdle the plant. Mulch should be kept back an inch or two from the trunk.

If you have a dry winter, be sure to water the rhodies if and when the soil thaws out. Cunningham's white is tough, but they have the most stress in the winter when exposed to winter sun and winter winds. The curling of the leaves is their protection from this stress.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 5:37PM
veryzer

Thanks Rhodyman. I have a bottle of Wilt-Pruf. Should I apply this as added insurance or is there a potential downside?

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 6:03PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I would wait until the ground freezes before applying Wilt-Pruf. Wilt-Pruf last about half the winter so should be reapplied half way through.

It should reduce the amount of winter burn which is a browning of the edges of some leaves.

Winter Burn

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 10:21AM
orlandodean(9)

returning to GardenWeb after a few years away. it seems harder to post a photo with a question. I've tried in Azalea forum and I've tried in Gallery. Things have changed. How to I post a photo along with a question?
Thanks. If you can direct me to the FAQ, that's great too.

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 5:38PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Hi Dean,

The photo you saw posted above your posting was posted with the following statement.

without the space between the "www.flickr.com
www.kodakgallery.com
www.shutterfly.com
travel.webshots.com
www.photobucket.com

I am not aware of a FAQ for gardeweb, however over many years I have created my own FAQ for Rhododendrons and Azaleas. It is at:

Henning's Rhododendrons and Azaleas

Enjoy

Cheers, Steve Henning, Reading, PA USA Zone 6

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Greer Gardens
Greer Gardens appears to be enjoying the last days...
kristincarol
Rhododendron catawbiense winter and springtime leaf yellowing
I have three Rhododendron catawbiense I planted in...
kalmia_maybe
Mid-Atlantic: What are the most evergreen azaleas?
Unfortunately most of my azaleas are not named. But...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Galloping gardeners strike again
Yikes! My two wonderful dogs have a completely different...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Azalea Sunny Side Up
Anyone know of a mail order nursery that carries Aromi...
shorebill
Sponsored Products
Cunningham 52" AC Pull String Ceiling Fan
$219.00 | Cocoweb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™