Report on germinating seeds for 2013

dondelduxMarch 13, 2013

My first cross of Chico x PapExStasy started out looking good. I had 5 pods and I got loads of small seeds but after soaking, they all were streaked with red. It got worse, the seedlings just started to turn to mush. I threw the last of them away a few weeks ago.

My second attempt fared much better. Both papilio seedpods opened to a good number of healthy seeds although the pap x Chico cross had a good number of pock marked seeds. The pap xTango/frozen Ruby Star pollen cross produced a greater number of good seeds. Both crosses are germinating with fat healthy seedlings. Good size, no red, and no mush.

Most all of the Tango/Ruby Star seedlings that I soaked germinated almost as soon as they hit the water so I think this must be a vigirous cross.

The Chico cross germinated well also but not as quickly and not as many as the other.

I have lost all attempts on Sweet Lilian and there were many..and all attempts on Pink Diamond bit the dust too. I have lost too many more to mention but it's still going to be a good year.

I am sitting here staring at 4 large pods on Sumatra (which selfed themselves) and I don't really want to grow them on so when they ripen if anyone would like some just let me know. There will be others that I will offer up too. I think I am going to have lots of seeds to give away again this season.

Here are the self selfed Sumatra pods:

I do have several other papilio crosses that also took using papilio as the pollinator!

Thanks for looking,

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Donna, what do you do with the rooted seedlings that fall to the bottom? I am tempted to just leave mine, but I know bad seeds sink, so am a little perplexed by the rooted ones that sink.

Those Sumatra pods look good. Hope you'll keep some as you might get some interesting cybister offspring based on whatever went into Sumatra.
K

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 3:25PM
dondeldux

I've had bad seeds float too.

I'll just leave them where they are and keep my eye on them and if they progress to the point where they grow a leaf the I'll just plant with the others. I find that the ones with a root that sink, seem to be coming out of the seed sort of twisted. But other than that I expect that they will be fine. I really don't know why some sink like that.

I'll keep a small amount of the Sumatra seeds but at this point since it's not a cross I actually wanted I just can't grow everything on, I've already run out of space!

They'll be good for others to experiment with....Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 15:51

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 5:46PM
johnsonm08(5a)

Hi Donna,
I would love some Sumatra seeds. I'll Pm you later to see if I have any you might want.
Mike

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:35PM
dondeldux

OK Mike, I should have a slew of them if all goes right.
I'll let you all know when they have "hatched".

Donna

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:45PM
hippiezep(11)

Very exciting. Good luck with the Chico - one I've never had any success with, and now my last remaining bulb of this type has died. Interesting with the Sunmatra self cross - might try that too

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:56PM
heddysue

Hi Donna
I'd love some, if you have any left?
I'll pay postage too as I live in Australia.
thanks
Heather

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:55AM
dondeldux

Hi Heather,
My Sumatra seeds were so old (and I hadn't kept them in the fridge) that I finally disposed of them. I gave many away but with all those pods I had way too many. Next year if you're interested, I'll make some cybister crosses on Sumatra and will be glad to share some seeds with you. When my Sumatra blooms again I'll post and hopefully you'll see it.Tune in again next late winter and you'll see that several of us have extra seeds we are willing to share...

Donna

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:43AM
senjanevada(9)

how to do cross poli? can't wait mine to bloom.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:42AM
heddysue

Donna
Yes please that would be great.
Thanks
Heather

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
Charisma x Tinkerbell
Hi Everyone, In 2012 I sent some pollen from my original...
dondeldux
H. Santos
My 3, H. Santos, bulbs all have 2 scapes and appear...
jimnpa (6a PA USA)
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Seeds from Argentina
Yes they are twins but the seedlings have the leaf...
orchids_grower_1946
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™