Fargesia rufa or similar type for sale

rootman(zone 5/6 W.PA)January 30, 2006

I am looking for clumping, winter hardy (zone 5/6) bamboo. I understand Fargesia rufa would be a good choice.

Who ships reasonably priced quality plants of the above or other similar bamboo?

Thank you.

Rootman

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

I purchased a fargesia murielae this past spring from Tradewinds. Was very pleased with the plant and it did well over the summer in my zone 5/6 garden.

Tradewinds

Man of the fargesias would work for you. Click on "Mountain Bamboo" as those I think are the hardiest ones they sell.

Tracy

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 3:18PM
lkz5ia

Check out gardenwatchdog.com
It shows a list of bamboo companies and what people think of them.
Being curious that I am, what purpose are you wanting to use rufa for?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo gardenwatchdog

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 7:51PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

And then there's my favorite, www.bambu-u.com

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 7:24AM
chuckr30(z5, GR-MI)

Check out ebay. They often list the shipping cost next to the price in the list of items.

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 4:08PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

New England Bamboo Company (Mass.) sells and ships F. rufa. A lot of bamboo nurseries are selling the new tissue culture edition from Bamboo Select. It's F. rufa "Green Panda."

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 10:01AM
tropicallvr(11)

I hear that "Fargesia rufa" from a Spokane Washington grower is just as hardy a Fargesia murielae in that climate, and it doesn't surprise me the least.
Good luck rootman, it seems to be a bigger, and maybe better plant!

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 9:08PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

I have a bunch of F. rufa around the property, the oldest has been there for 3 seasons. They are hardy, stay green when other fargesias look ratty, and are smaller and more compact if you have limited room.

They reportedly get up to 8' tall and as much wide, but it can take some years. Mine are 3-4' right now, but will probably get taller shoots this year.

Start with #5 or #3 size plants so they're substantial to begin with.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 9:25AM
bamboobob(z6b RI)

I think rufa is your best bet. Of the bamboos I have in zone 6, it consistently looks good, even in cold winters.

Although I generally agree with Cady, I think New England bamboo tends to be very expensive when compared to other good nurseries (particularly after shipping charges). Although I have a "Green Panda", I'm not sure I would recommend it any more highly than the general species.

Bookmark   February 14, 2006 at 9:31PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

Yes, New England Bamboo is pricier than most others, but I've found the quality and availability of their plants to be excellent. Of course, I also am biased because they are close to where I am, so I drive there and pick up my orders and don't pay shipping! But you're quite right that there are many other good nurseries that sell at lower rates. I am impressed with the number of quality bamboo growers and sellers we have around the US and Canada. Most are dedicated to bamboo, and their business grew from that.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 10:11AM
kennerd(z6 neNJ/seNY)

http://stores.ebay.com/Halfside-Bamboo

I bought some ruf anad scabria from Philinshelton based on recommendations from GW posters. Items were well packed and shipping was quick. Super-healthy plants and he was excellent to deal with.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 10:36AM
nucci60(6 Ma.)

kennard, how did your scabrida do this winter. my scabrida and robusta were both top killed. My rufa is fine.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 7:34AM
d_garden

I have tried several fargesias in SE Michigan, and rufa is the only one that has come through with flying colors. It's shooting like crazy right now and survived 2 winters with little topkill. I got it from a local supplier, who explained that our cold winters aren't so much the problem with most fargesias, but the hot summers.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 7:54AM
plantaholic(zone 8a AL)

our local lowes has nice 1 gal rufa for $14.97! already 3 ft tall and full.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™