Yellowing Azaleas

ivymdNovember 27, 2009

My new gardner overpruned our beautiful Azalea. The Azalea is about 30 years old and was beautiful. In late September, I came out of the house and saw that he severely pruned it back. From a beautiful round shrub, he removed about 50 percent of the branches. Told us it will grow better. Now over a month has passed and it is turning yellow. What should we do. Is the plant in shock. I am devasted about this. Has anyone any ideas as to what we should do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

If the plant was healthy, the pruning should not hurt it at all except you probably lost all of next years flower buds. New growth will not come until next spring hopefully. New growth now will get frozen back. The next blooms will be in 2011. Assuming it is an evergreen azalea, the yellowing is probably normal since green growth which would be green was probably removed. The older leaves do turn yellow and fall off. You won' t know where you stand until next spring when the new growth comes out. Don't expect any flowers next year. If it looks healthy next spring, I would add some Hollytone at half the rate on the package and only once, not twice. Less is better.

The correct way to prune azaleas is to remove branches that are growing inward and one of the branches where branches are crossing. The idea is to open up the plant for good air flow. The best timing is in the spring after it blooms.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™