How much time should I wait until I'm able to divide my bamboo?
Last week, I removed a culm from my B. Vulgaris 'Vittata' that began growing mid November. There were very few leaves growing at this point. There was also no root growth at the base. So I decided to remove the new growth(daughter w/no roots) along with the old growth(mother w/roots.) Unfortunately, it's not making it. The daughter is beginning to really dehydrate and shrivel. I probably should have waited until there was a least some root growth on the daughter?
So my question it....how long do I have to wait(time from initial growth to separation) until it would be safe to begin dividing? Is it a different amount of time depending on variety of bamboo? Is there a way for me to tell if there's root growth without having to dig. What's a good rule of thumb? 4 months? 6 months? 1 year? Wait until there are leaves? Spring? Summer? Fall?
There are some pretty large ones in my back yard that began growing in September that I want to pot and place at the front of the house. I wanted to divide them before it got too hot. I know it's still winter, but here in Los Angeles, it's been in the 60's to high 70's.