When should I trim Azaleas or should I ?

rolacoyDecember 22, 2010

I have about 60 Encore Asalea bushes across the back of my yard. They were planted 2 1/2 years ago. I they have never done very well, some are in the Sun and some in the shade. We have never seen much difference in the shaded ones and the ones in the Sun.

They did not bloom from about July to November, they are all blooming now. They are about 24" tall, but very limbey. I would like to trim them back to about 16". Flat across the top and front, thinking that they might bush out and be fuller. I am not really worried about cutting off buds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rolacoy

Here are some pictures, look under.

Azalea Bushes

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Bushes

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 5:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Azaleas that grow like this may not be getting enough sun or may be getting uneven soil moisture. Four hours of morning sun would be the least I would try to give them. I would try not to have periods of dry and wet soil on the top 4" of soil.

Azaleas can be pruned anywhere in the stems and they will grow new stems so feel free to prune now if buds are not an issue. Pruning after they bloom but before July is best for most. Encores can be pruned at any time although they should rarely need pruning if grown in an area where they can grow to their size at maturity.

Another suggestion: maintain about 3-4" of acidic mulch, such as pine needles mulch. It helps keep the soil evenly moist and reduces he frequency of waterings. Check that your soil drains well (it should if they all grow in raised beds) and that its soil pH is acidic. Note: clay soil should not be used in the raised beds.

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
jujujojo_gw
What type os Azalea to buy to achieve this...
My ultimate goal is to achieve the edge in the linked...
gatremonti
Sponsored Products
Original Toe Kick Kit
Signature Hardware
Wireless Motion Sensor LED Ceiling Light by Mr Beams
Super Bright LEDs
Braided Area Rug: Chestnut Knoll Amber Red 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Orange Purple Colorblock Lamp Shade 15x16x11 (Spider)
$39.99 | Lamps Plus
Solune Suspension Bowl by Terzani
$2,100.00 | Lumens
Phoenix Pendant
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™