Prickly pear from seed!?

zone10aridgardenerApril 20, 2011

Around three years back I ate one of my neighbors prickly pear fruits. I ended up throwing the seeds out in my yard and now I have tiny litte prickly pears. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Wow ... speedy aren't they!

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 9:13PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Hah, funny! You know, prickly pears are notorious for being slow and/or random in their germination. I've harvested fresh seed and planted it and some sprouted right away, and others took a year, two or even three. I try to either plant them in the ground or put the pots where I don't have to see them too often so I don't get too annoyed, LOL.

Are you going to keep the babies?
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 3:58PM
greendesert

I totally don't see the point of planting them from seed unless you're trying to hybridize them. way easier to just chop a pad off a mature plant and pop it in the ground, and you have an established plant in a couple of months.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:09PM
zone10aridgardener

I have also planted prickly pear pads but the seeds were just for fun. And yes I do plan on keeping them. :)

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 12:13AM
caitlinrosegaither_gmail_com

i am trying to grow prickly pear from seed and when they sprout a tiny hair like sprout that looks almost like a mushroom comes up and dies like the next day... what is happening?

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 3:48AM

It's fun to start opuntia from seed, especially when you have several times blooming at the same time--you never know what you'll get, LOL. Here's a little pot of some I started from some huge-paddle plants in my front yard. I let the birds eat the big round red fruit, but I found a few seeds in the eaten fruit so I tossed them in a pot. This batch sprouted very quickly, although I've waited a loooong time in the past for other opuntia seeds to sprout, LOL. Tennis ball to show relative size.

Caitlin, it sounds like you are getting actual mushrooms in your soil? I'd make sure to use fresh, new seed-starting "soil-less" potting soil in a clean, mostly sterilized pot too. It wouldn't hurt to pour boiling water over the pot and then the pot full of soil to help kill pathogens. Just let it cool before planting seeds of course. :)

Take care all,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My little garden blog, just a post or two a month

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 1:48PM

Um, that was supposed to say "several TYPES blooming at the same time", darn spell check, LOL. :)

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™