Trouble growing R. macrosepalum...pls help!

madrone(VancIsl BC)December 2, 2009

I bought a Rhodo macrosepalum linearfolium two years ago. The mother plant has since bit the dust but I was able to get one cutting off of it once I noticed the main plant was not thriving. I'm babying it along but it is not looking all that great either. Does anyone have any secrets on growing this rhodo successfully? I haven't been able to find much information about this cultivar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Maybe it would help if you could tell us what kind of symptoms of stress or decline you were seeing before/as you were losing the plant.

I'm not growing it but I'm seeing it more frequently in nurseries. There doesn't seem to be anything out of the normal growing conditions for rhododendron in caring for it, other than suggestions that it may be more sensitive to wind. Also hardy to approx 5-15F, you may have come close to the 15F last December - did you lose the parent plant over winter or find it failing during the growing season?

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 12:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madrone(VancIsl BC)

The plant was dying back, branch by branch, in late fall. That's when I tool off three little cuttings and potted them up in the greenhouse. One took. The mother plant was located in a very sheltered area. There's no wind, and we certainly didn't get below about -10 C. (I think that's about +8 F) in the coldest part of the property. With the forest as a backdrop, there's a lot of biomass warming that area. Since all the other rhodos and azaleas in area survived unscathed, I'm just wondering if this specie is much harder to grow?

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™