Sprouting bamboo

oregonically_grownJanuary 17, 2010

Obtained black bamboo seed last spring that I have been saving. My attempts to cover (with soil) and water yielded nothing. Do these seeds, originating from tropical areas, need heat to germ? Does bamboo produce sterile seeds? what gives?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Unfortunately, bamboo seeds lose viability quickly. If they are older than a couple of months from harvesting, you could have a tough time getting anything. So...you have seeds that are at least 9 months old, plus however long they sat around after they were harvested and before they were sent to you. In addition, bamboo only produces seed when it flowers (which is rare), and it happens worldwide when it does. I am unaware of black bamboo being in flower currently or recently, so I am not sure what you got. Where did these seeds come from? (And if you got them on eBay from a seller outside the U.S., I should let you know that they came into the country illegally, as Federal regulations prohibit bamboo seed importation without a permit and a year quarantine.)

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 3:44AM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™