Need Help Tips: Planting Citrus in AZ

Brian_AZApril 20, 2012

Hi y'all... I just moved to Arizona about a year ago. I want to plant a citrus tree in my parent's backyard in Mesa. More specifically, I want to plant a close relative to the lime, which is the Calamansi (a citrus with origins from the Philippines).

Can this be planted in Arizona soil and sun? My parents have a lemon tree which seems to be doing fine. I just don't know if planting in late April or early May is okay? Or should I keep it in the pot and plant it at a later time? Also, any other tips on selecting a location to plant and additives to the soil?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

No. It's far too frost-sensitive to live here.

You could have it in a container and move it inside, if you had a greenhouse.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:31PM
AJBB(9b)

Calamansi can grow here. However, it needs to be grafted onto an appropriate dwarfing rootstock for Arizona, like Flying Dragon and grown close to the house. It is extremely frost sensitive -- it will die at 30 degrees. Unless you can graft and know someone who regularly grafts citrus, this may be quite an undertaking for you.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 7:00PM
lazy_gardens

Would that Tropical plants place have them?

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 9:52AM
AJBB(9b)

You can try Tropica Mango. I'm sure he could probably also order one since he has a citrus import permit. Calamansi also goes by the term "Calamondin" and he might be more familiar with that term. Again, the most important thing with growing one is that it needs to be planted close to the house and protected in winter.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 2:54PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

I have a Calamondin tree I planted in January '10. It is the doing well, even survived the awful freeze we had in the winter of 2010-2011.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 11:45PM
josiedoug

Calamansi could grow and live healthily during summer as long as you just make sure it got water every day. By the way I'm from the Philippines and want to grow calamansi here in luisiana. I wonder if u guys can help me with providing me a seed?

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:22PM
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ

All the info above about its cold hardiness are incorrect.

Calamondin is one of the more cold hardy citrus out there. I have one growing in the backyard right now with tons of fruit and flower all over it.

They can take temps all the way down into the low 20's and somewhere I've read that they can even take it into the teens.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:50PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Not a problem:
http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/free-calamondin-aka-kalamansi-fruits?id=2008067:Topic:399890&page=1

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/photo/very-first-calamondin-harvest?commentId=2008067:Comment:438611&xg_source=activity

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/calamondin.html

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/calamondin.html

edit BTW: I'd consider planting it either in late Sept/early Oct. or late January. Obviously the former would need frost cloth protection in the winter depending upon what microclimate you planted it into. But you get that head start on rooting and growing before summer hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamondin aka Calamansi and various spellings

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 16:04

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™