bamboo shoots

guyfrom505February 24, 2007

When will bamboo start to shoot? Does it depend on soil temp, air temp, sunlight? A combination? I am in Albuquerque, borderline 6/7. I have p. nigra and p. aurea. Both did very well theis winter with very minimal leaf damage. A few dry leaves not much though. Tis is my first winter with bamboo so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Yes, it depends greatly on weather conditions. The soil must reach a certain temperature before shooting goes in ernest. P Nigra as a late shooter, May in the Pacific Northwest. Aurea likely sooner.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 12:12PM
mersiepoo(6)

I'm in the north, my bamboo (which I though was P Nigra henon but the culms are turning yellow in the sun) starts shooting around the end of May.

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 2:47PM
inversa

mersiepoo - henon will turn yellowish in the sun, it is only the older culms that turn to the grayish color you may have been expecting, i've had it for 5 years and it frequently gets nipped back by cold so i have never had any culms that were able to ripen, they start out green and fade to a golden/olive color - i would not let that single factor convince you that yours is not henon. the shoots of the nigra forms are pretty distinct and easy to veryify the id

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 10:13PM
mersiepoo(6)

Hi Inversa!

Hmm, that is very interesting! I'll have to take a picture of my bamboo later on and post it. Thanks! I thought they gave me the wrong 'boo.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
What does this Giant Timber need
I have it in the ground for maybe 5-6 months. I did...
gerryo619
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™