2 Questions, Black bamboo, thick clumpers

poaky1February 4, 2013

Is there a zone 5/6 hardy black bamboo? Willis orchards has one listed on their site. It is a runner, I beleive. And are there any thick culmed clumpers for zone 6? I will look online too, but if anyone knows of one, I could use the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

I think P. nigra is the hardiest black bamboo. It is a runner, but may not get very large in your area.

There are several varieties that get quite large in warmer areas. Phyllostachys nigra 'Punctata', Phyllostachys
nigra 'Mejiro', and Phyllostachys nigra 'Daikokuchiku' all grow between 3 and 4 inches thick and hardy from 5F to 0F.

Unfortunately, there are no large clumpers that will survive in your zone without damage, so the plant, even if it will survive, would remain small since it would have to regrow each year.

Kt

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:10PM
poaky1

Okay Kentuck, I am zone 6, but we haven't had below zero temps since the 80's. So a low of 5 F should be okay here. We had a low of 8 F this past January, and it is unlikely to be that low again this year. Our coldest winter temps have been the teens the past 20 some years, with a few single digits here and there. Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:01PM
jonjfarr

Fargesia is a cold hardy clumper. I have a black one I grew from seed.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Moso is dying
I have a small Moso grove about 10 to 14yrs old . ...
gardensnail22
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™