Grubs

woodgalApril 30, 2009

Can anyone recommend the best product for getting rid of grubs in GRASS. I would appreciate any help and advise. Thanks! Kingman, AZ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Timing is the most important thing in riding lawns of grubs. Apply a drench in March and July/August. The grub is most active and near the surface at these times

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 6:20PM
gemfire(z9/10 AZ)

There are some beneficial insects that will take care of these for you if you put them out at the right time of the year. Here's a site that might give you more information. Also google for beneficial insects to get rid of grubs and I'm sure you will find where to get these.

http://www.gardenguides.com/pests/tips/grubs.asp

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 9:18PM
aztreelvr

Hi Woodgal,

White grubs are the larvae of beetles (masked chafers or June beetles) which feed on the roots of turf and other soft rotted shrubs. In general, the eggs are laid in June to early July by the adults. The adults are the bulky bodied 1/2 inch long caramel-colored beetles, which are attracted to porch lights this time of the year. They usually crawl around on the concrete, fly up towards a light, and sit looking for a mate. They are short lived as adults, and the adult beetles do not damage the turf.

The best time to control the grubs is during mid-July, when the grubs are small, have sensitive skin and are close to the surface. There are some biological controls available as well as products that contains imidacloprid. Common brand names are Merit, Bayer Advanced Lawn Grub Control, GrubEx, etc. When ingested by the grub, this product causes the grub to stop feeding. This is catastrophic for a young grub when applied in July to early August.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Insect Management

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™