Bamboo pest

JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)February 9, 2009

I have two clumps of Fargesia robusta that have some sort of mealy bug, scale or other homopteran insect pest. They form a thick white waxy coating and are reddish when I squish them. I noticed just a few on one plant last year but ants were tending them and they are now all over both plants, probably thanks to the ants. I really, really hate to use pesticides in my garden; is there any hope of effective treatment that doesn't use pesticides, otherwise something with low toxicity?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boomantoo

I don't know what it is that you have but, I think it's aphids cause they secrete a sugary substance and I think that's what killed my phyllostachys nigra, the sugar substance attracts the ants and I could not get rid of it. The plant lost most of it's leaves and I thought it was going to make a comeback. Some of the leaves came back but it later died no shoots ever from this plant. I had the plant for two years, I think it had this when I bought it but not sure I was a newbie then.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 3:14PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

I did a bit of research and think what I have is a kind of wax scale. Still trying to figure out what species, and how to control

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 3:23PM
steve_nj(7-a)

Scale can be difficult to eliminate. Here's some info I found. Of course if your scale is a different species, this may not apply. With any scale, hit the crawlers.

Here is a link that might be useful: scale

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 8:47AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

As mentioned at the last link provided if you aren't going to watch for the crawlers and spray those then you are left with hand picking the adults and crushing them.

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 2:44PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

I took another look and I'm still not entirely certain what it is. It might be a kind of mealy bug but if so it produces a heavy waxy coating. That might just be their winter protection. I hope this didn't come from a nearby Miscanthus, which had a serious mealy bug problem, to the point that I finally just cut it down and kept cutting it until it died (too much trouble to dig it out!).

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™