Bamboo

JoecdFebruary 14, 2013

Hello everyone. I planted about 30 bamboo plants in April 2012. They were a wild from southeast Pa. The bamboo that I picked from were about 30 feet tall 2.5 inch in diameter. I dug up and replanted approx. 30 plants with roots. They have spread throughout the summer but are very tiny. (2 feet high) what should I expect for this next growing season which is only a couple of months away? I'm hoping for as much growth as possible. Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

After transplanting, it will take a few years to get the rhizomes back to a large enough size to support large topgrowth.

Here in Texas, depending on the variety, it could take 5 years, maybe more, to get back to that large size.

Fertilizing and making sure it has enough water during dry spells will help speed this up.

Kt

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 8:12PM
Joecd

I was going to dig up some bamboo this spring and transplant it. Can I dig up roots and cut stem off at about 2 feet high? Won't the bamboo just spread by root matter? I want to do this so I can transport it easier.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:40PM
kentuck_8b(__)

Yes, you can do it that way. The larger the rootball and the more topgrowth you leave, the better chance of survival.

I've done that before and cut the culm off below any nodes with stems. It was the following year before it put up new shoots, though.

Kt

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™