Need help choosing bamboo for my area

jerez(7)February 9, 2008

Some maps say I am zone 7 or 8, but I believe here close to the water, we are zone 5. We get 35 inches of rainfall a year approx. Much like Seattle, I am northwest of.

Soil is acidic, not well drained, ( I can fix that I guess).

We have sun July and Aug. mostly, can get up into mid 90's. Winters are mild, rarely ever below 20 degrees, but historically some below 0 days.

I need my privacy back, a large tree was taken form neighbors yard, and I need something that will grow as tall as possible,and screen me from neighbors next door and on hill side.

If anyone has any suggestions and where to get this bamboo, I'd much appreciate it..

THanks..

Moso looks interesting, but would it do well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elzbetta(z6A TN)

Though we are nearly opposite sides of the country, your rainfall amounts and summer/winter temps sound like mine (Tennessee). We have clay soil here. I have had good luck with Ph. Rubromarginata and Ph. Henon - grow fast and thick. About 20 ft high right now (we've had a couple of drought years or I imagine they'd be a bit bigger). The rubro can take the freak ice storms and cold winter winds too.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 10:58AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Where exactly are you? I grow about 60 different species of bamboo in the Greater Seattle area (Zone 8).

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 12:17PM
jerez(7)

Hi Kudzu.., I am in Mukilteo about 3 blocks from Puget Sound. Western Garden says it is zone 5, other sources via zip code say 7 or 8.

Elzbetta, how long has your bamboo been growing to reach 20 feet?

I'd like to hear more. Thanks, Jerez

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 11:48PM
elzbetta(z6A TN)

Most of my bamboos are 5 yrs old but the rubro and the henon sent out tall shoots the 3rd year. Considering they started as skinny little 3 ft plantings, I was impressed. There'd be a 10 footer, or higher, shooting up here & there. It wasn't till the 4th year that they started to 'fill in' and start looking more like a mini grove. We don't get a lot of rain and I haven't been fertilizing much. I do put down a lot of pine needle mulch every fall. Our fields are not ideal conditions for most plants but the bamboos seem quite happy to grow in poor conditions.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 6:28PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

FYI
Sunset uses their own zones so Sunset 5 doesn't mean USDA 5.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™