problems with lemon tree

romymartApril 17, 2013

Hello,

I have a lemon tree that I planted in ground one year ago.
This past winter it suffered from frost damage (all the leaves ended up curling and drying out). When it started warming up, i cut back the branches that seemed to be dead and the tree started sprouting nicely.

I fertilized it in March with Miracle Gro granules for citrus.

Now I am noticing that it has some yellow leaves, mostly the new growth is very small and yellow...it looks like the leaves are completely yellow with no green veins...

it is also losing a few leaves, but from what I see in the ground it looks like the leaves that fell are green.
We had very strong winds last week, so I don't know if the leaves in the ground are due to that or other causes..

But another thing that is worrying me is that it looks like some branches that used to have leaves, now are dying back....

what could this be?

Unfortunately the tree is in the same dripping line as my queen palms (which need frequent watering), so I can't adjust the watering too much...right now it is getting watered every 4 days with 16 gallons of water

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fascist_Nation(9b)

It probably doesn't help that you have a rock mulch.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:51PM
romymart

why is the rock bad?
i had to put rocks, because it is the only way to stop my dog from digging there :(

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:47PM
campv

Rocks create heat. Clear out from around the base to the drip line of the tree. That way you can see if it dry or needs water. Put some chicken wire w/stakes or something simular around the tree to keep the dog out. I don't know if it is over watering or needs iron.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:59PM
romymart

thank you! i'll try and move the rocks :)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:09PM
campv

Are the leaves that are yellow new? Citrus likes iron and with our soil you need to give it iron to get dark green shiny leaves. The season has just started and I have already gone through one bag of ironite. FYI -Put a 1/2 cp or so of ironite in a a large bucket (3/5gl) fill with water/stir and let sit overnight. Stir again, pour it @ the base and drip line of the tree. Ironite takes a long time to break down, this is quicker.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 7:23PM
romymart

thanks campv!

the leaves that are yellowing are mostly new ones, even if today I noticed that older ones are yellowing too...

i will try with the iron!

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 2:50PM
campv

It still could be too much water. I would pull back the rocks add the iron and take the tree off the drip for a while. If it needs water use the hose. Dig down a few inches or use a small dia. stick or rebar to see how far down the soil is soft and wet. If needed turn the water on so it just barely comes out (dribble) for about 3hrs maybe 4. Don't know how many times per week you will figure it out. When it gets real hot and the leaves are no longer yellow maybe put it back on the drip. I would also consider mulching around it . Everthing in gardening is trial and error. And boy have I had few of those.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:28PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

I should have attached this link to my message. And for completeness you might as well have this one too:
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/diseases/az1154.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Diagnosing Home Citrus Problems

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 7:24PM
romymart

thank you Campv and Fascist_Nation,

I will try all that! :)

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™