banana problems!!!!!

tristanpierson(6b)January 20, 2013

Ok so long story short my potted bananas only trunk got broke off and then it started rotting so I pulled it out and put it in a vase. I washed the dirt off and cut the rot out and now it looks decent. I also made a clean cut because the top was starting to rot after it broke. It's in a vase of water now because I'm afraid to pot it. What should I do? I've had it for 3 years and I don't want to loose it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arctictropical(Z4)

You can stick your banana in a plastic garbage sack with some peat moss and stick in a cool basement location until Spring, and plant it then. If you replant it now, make sure the potting soil has very good drainage. You can add sand, perlite, or whatever you like to aerate the soil. The best thing you can do for bananas during the winter is NOT overwater them. My advise would be this... buy a soil moisture meter and use it religiously. Don't water it until the soil is almost totally dry. You can kill a banana plant from overwatering very easily, but RARELY from underwatering. The banana "trunk" and roots store lots of water, so they can go a LONG time without watering. If you overwater, the roots will rot and die.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 1:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tristanpierson(6b)

Ok I will try that. I have lots of bananas and never had that happen before.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™