Oldhamii and Golden Goddess Growth Potential?

newbamboonutFebruary 6, 2014

Hello fellow Boo zen masters. Well, not me since I am posing the question. I got tired of watching my Oldhamii live a pot confined life in a greenhouse and window in my home's zone 7, so I moved a few to a rental property in a hotter zone (near Sacramento, CA, zone 9b.) I was curious if anyone had experience growing Oldhamii and Golden Goddess here because I am really curious to know what kind of growth I can expect. The plantings have full sun and irrigated water and presently only have pencil sized 4ft. canes or so. I put them in the ground last week and am hoping for some monster shoots on the Oldhamii in these conditions (wetter winters, and hot 100 degree plus summers.) I have attached a picture of one of the oldhamiis to this message. It is next to the rock in the photo. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Here in 8b Texas, the oldhamii gets over 40 feet in height and took 3 to 4 years to reach that height. That area might be a bit small for an oldhamii but you could keep it thinned out and it would be OK but may not get to it's full height.

Golden Goddess will reach it's full height in the same amount of time and reach a height of about 14 feet here.

Keep us posted on it's growth.

Kt

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newbamboonut

Thanks Kentuck! I would have guessed that because it's a clumper, the fact that it has 3 feet in every direction to grow would be more than enough. Ideally would it need more than that to develop a root mass strong enough to reach its genetic potential? That and given the fact that it will get a lot of heat, sun, and is in sandy loam makes me think that the growth will be much greater than that.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™