Noob to this whole thing. Help on banana plant

TheyCallMeFrito(7)January 7, 2014

Hello all! My name is Alfred, I am new to gardening and also this page. I am trying to learn all the "Gardening" terms and such. I have only grew one thing in my life and I did it at the wrong time but it was a Firmiana Simplex tree (Chinese Parasol Tree). Anyways, I am trying to grow a dwarf banana plant (Specifically I heard a dwarf cavendish is great) for my house and hoping I can find seeds on Amazon, Ebay, or Parkseed.com. Trying to grow in a pot indoors or out. Does anyone know if it will grow well or fruit here in OKlahoma City, OK? Zone 7a/7b.

Here is a link that might be useful: Something similar to the link. Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Are you trying to grow bananas that produce fruit or trying to grow decorative types of bananas? Not all bananas produce edible fruit. Many of the seeded varieties are more for decorative purposes so in general you will need to buy a small plant in order to get a fruiting variety.
If you are in a zone7b the are some decorative types that are hardy to your zone.
Most of the edible fruiting varieties like a warmer winter. You could try growing them in a pot. There are some smaller varieties of bananas that produce fruit in pots. Raja Puri and Veinte Cohol are both considered easy-to-fruit in pot varieties. Dwarf Orinico, Dwf Cavendish, Double Mahoi are some other varieties you might like.
Here is a link to read about different bananas and sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to banana variety description

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?
Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit...
elbeardo
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™