varigated banana seeds

tonymusa(england)January 23, 2006

I have a question, can two different clones of variegated basjoo cross pollenate and produce seeds that germinate into variegated plants, the reason i ask is because i believe "fuji-yama variegata" is a different clone to my plant, i think my plant is cloned from basjoo sakhalin it is a stockier plant than normal basjoo, and has thicker leaves and petiole wings, if the variegation is caused by a virus, would the virus then be present in the seeds, i have tried propergating normal basjoo seeds before, but because they were from the same cloned material they were not fertile, i would be gratfull for any advice , all the best, Tony.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gabe15(z3-4 CO)

The variegation will not transfer thru to the seedlings. If they cross pollinate, you will get normal, green basjoo seedlings.

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 11:21AM
tonymusa(england)

have you tried this, gabe15, with variegated bananas were they are not related, not unlike ae-ae were they are all the same clone, thanks, tony

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 12:35PM
miamimax(z 10-11 FL)

fuji yama basjoo is, (or was- if it even exists anymore?), an albo variegata, and came from tissue culture grown in a nursery in france as I recall? What coloration does your Basjoo have? white or yellow? Somatic variegation can be seen in lots of forms. Not only in different patterns,i.e., splashed, sectored, striped, striated, margined, etc., but also in color variations; pure yellow variegates (aureates), yellow variegatas (yellow and green),cream colored variegates (creams, yellow, white, and green variegation), white variegates(Etiolates) white and shades of green (albo variegata), and green on green variegates. They are all the same Musa (Basjoo), just different tissue mutations.You can also have red coloration in mutant tissue. I have had variegated Ensete Maurelli with red, white, yellow, cream, and greens that are amazing. I would think that it would be easier to get different mutations from the suckers of mutant Basjoo than to cross pollinate the variegated forms together. The seed , if any developed, would probably have way too much mutant tissue from both parents and not survive even if they germinated.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Wall Mounted Meadowlark Collection Oil Rubbed Bronze 3-light
Home Depot
Trans Globe 45644 WB Post Lantern - Weather Bronze - 8W in. - 45644 WB
$127.11 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting Danica 46019/1 1 Light Mini Pendant - 46019/1
$126.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Savannah Collection Burnished Chestnut 3-lig
Home Depot
Lladro 'Mirror Mirror' Porcelain Figure
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. Onion Wall-Mount Outdoor Textured Black Light Fixture
$42.33 | Home Depot
Mini Isla Aqua 7" Wide Satin Nickel Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Trans Globe 69905 Post Lantern - 10W in. - 69905 BK
$131.10 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™