The dangers of AZ Organic Gardening!

lazy_gardensApril 23, 2011

OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW!

My organic pest control squad just STUNG ME! I was harvesting mint and one of the wasps (Polistes arizona, probably) that was hunting caterpillars must have been crawling around on the mint leaves ... OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW!

Way worse than honey bee stings.

NOTE: Ice and time will fix it, but right now I want to pound my head on the wall it hurts so bad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

I feel for your pain but hope I don't meet the same fate. However I believe it will just bee a matter of time. There are bees and wasps and hornets and bumble bees everywhere in my yard.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 10:36PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

I just had a hole cut into my outside wall by the front door because I noticed some bees buzzing around. I was reluctant to bother them since they're so important for our veggies, but was worried that someone might be hurt coming to the front door.

Well, after much debate with hubby, we called an exterminator and he discovered there were ELEVEN honeycombs and over 7000 bees! Been there about 3 weeks. They were busy!

I'm sadden by their demise, but it was necessary.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 1:31AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Sorry about the sting! I've been stung by bees before but never a wasp--they sure LOOK like their sting would hurt more than a bee sting. Hope you recover quickly. Ugh.

They are amazing predators of caterpillars though, aren't they? Feel better soon!

Grant

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 10:43AM
crista(Sunset 13)

Yeow! DH got stung on the hand last summer and I remember how painful it was for him. This is a really good reminder to me to wear gloves outside.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 4:20PM
moroseaz

Guess they just don't like me... the bees love the roses and lavender and probably would sting me if I forgot to look inside the blooms before sticking my nose in there, lol. The yellow jackets like to ride the bleach thingy in the pool. Having grown up on a midwest farm, I've had stings from both. Not sure which hurts worse. Rosemary and Xylosma seem to attract hoards of bees so neither one is allowed in my garden. I prefer a manageable number. So sorry for your pain. A baking soda paste helps a little and so does that gum numb stuff you use on a teething baby.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™