ways of propagation

staticx(6b)February 25, 2010

hello everyone on the bamboo forum

im just buying a new house and would like to make a screen of bamboo,im gonna make an underground raised bed to make it grow in a line.

anyway,i was goona come here asking if anyone wanted to trade some bamboo germplasm for some diffrent seeds i have.

but i dont know if this is possible.

so my question is, what diffrent ways of propagating bamboo have you personally been succesful with. i dont want any theories lol.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It's unlikely that you will have success with trying to propagate bamboo. Bamboo is expensive because many of them can't be propagated via the usual methods, and most plants for sale at nurseries are simply divisions off of other mature plants. It's true that you could possibly propagate from a viable chunk of rhizome, but, even if you succeed with that, it will probably be 5 years before you have a plant as tall as you. If you really want a hedge any time in the near future, you'll simply need to buy potted plants of a very hardy bamboo species.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 7:16PM
lynnopus(9b)

There are basically 3 ways to propagate bamboo. Depending on the species some are easy , some are hard.
1 is seed. Unless you gather it yourself, be wary of the true identification. Much of it is nonviable and there are many shady sellers of seed. Its also the longest to maturity

2 is cuttings. This is cutting between the nodes, placing them in soil and hope they make new roots and shoots. Many variables in this, the bamboo species, the place on the cane its taken, the time of year and the care it recieves. I have had up to 90% success and as low as 0

3 is rhizome division. This is the fastest to maturity and virtually 100% if done right. Check out the bamboo info sites it will tell you all about it.

Try to stay with clumping species. Thats hard in zone 6, check into Fargesia sp. Contain any runner you may like to plant.

Bamboo is not really expensive , especially when compared to many trees. When buying your first plants , stay with a reputable nursery who knows what they are selling

Here is a link that might be useful: http://spacecoastbamboo.com

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 12:16PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Don't bother to try to propagate running bamboo from culm cuttings. It's my understanding that this method only works with clumping species. In any case, I've never heard of anyone succeeding with it.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 1:37PM
lynnopus(9b)

I have not heard that about runners. It does surprise me though. I wont dispute it, i only work with clumpers

Here is a link that might be useful: http://spacecoastbamboo.com

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™