Banana seeds

tristanpierson(6b)January 27, 2013

So I have banana seeds soaking in warm water. How long should I soak them before I plant them in dirt?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arctictropical(Z4)

Banana seeds are VERY hard. I would suggest keeping them in warm water for several days. In fact, quite often it helps to sand off a small area on the hard coat until you see a small white dot which is the white interior of the seed, before you soak or plant them. Otherwise, whenever you plant the seeds, it would help to keep the soil warm and moist (but not soggy) at around 80-85 degrees. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 3:53PM
tristanpierson(6b)

Do you mean file at the bottom or anywhere?

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 5:04PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Hi again Tristan. I have grown the green ensete bananas by filing a protruding edge or corner of the hard shell until the white inside began to appear. This let's the moisture inside so that it germinates much easier.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 9:46PM
tristanpierson(6b)

Thank you artictropical, I tried that and I'm anxious to see what happens.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 10:14PM
dendrologist_newb(8)

Hey I'm new, and I was looking around on the site here and it's a great community here. Then I stumbled across trading ad selling seeds on this site. I'm willing to trade seeds for banana seeds I can probably find a plant here if you want something in my area. I live in central Florida in a swampy area next to a cow farming community, there's a wide variety. Since I'm still new as of today, I'm unknowing of trading and I you guys could explain or trade with me that'd be great! Thanks to anyone in advance.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 8:50AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Hi dendrologist. I've always bought the green colored ensete seeds from Park Seed Company. The red colored or Maurelii variety can only be purchased from nurseries, since I believe they are propogated from tissue cultures.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 5:32PM
dendrologist_newb(8)

Ok, thank you for your input. Again I'm new to these things and all information is good information.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 8:15PM
jardinerowa

Has anyone tried soaking banana seeds in water with some vinegar instead of nicking? I'm going to try that when I get my banana seeds in the mail.
Z

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™