What are the laws in WA regarding tall bamboo growing?

QramesesMarch 16, 2014

I'm also looking for the right species. Hopefully one no taller than 30 feet. Spreading is fine, as I will be growing it in a container. (An OLD bathtub that will be buried)

I'm wondering though, is it okay for me to do this? Is anyone going to have a problem? I am on 20 acre farmland in northwest WA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb WA-Zone8

I bought some nursery pots from a guy in Renton.He grows Bamboo and Palms professionally and came to mind when reading your post.His name is Bryan and phone# is 425-999-5768. Brady

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 12:56AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Qrameses-
Do your neighbors care how tall your trees get? While some people are irrationally afraid of bamboo, and some neighborhood associations can control what you plant, I know of no State or even local governmental laws in Washington that will prevent you from planting whatever you want as far as bamboo is concerned...and I've been growing mine here in the Puget Sound area for many years.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 7:01PM
plaidbird

Old bathtub ?
That's not going to drain adequately. You could pay someone to cut the bottom out of it, but seems like there are so many better garden uses for an old bathtub.

While the bathtub is a unique idea, I think there are much easier ways. Learn a little more about controlling the bamboo, and you'll be a lot happier. The horror stories you hear have been caused by folks that just didn't care and stuck something tall there to get fast privacy, knowing they were moving in a few years anyway.

This post was edited by plaidbird on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 4:38

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 4:08AM
Qrameses

I live on a farm where neighbors shouldn't be an issue. The bathtub is (Actually there are two) old junk that has been sitting there for years. One of them is a style that would be easy to build up a couple feet with brick. (which is also laying around) I'm trying utilize junk as well as clean up the property..

How tall do you think moso bamboo will get in such restraints?
What else could I use as barriers? (I know they sell rhizome barriers, but free while cleaning up the property is preferred) I also have a few 50 gallon barrels that I was thinking smaller varieties could tolerate well..

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Moso vs Giant Japanese Timber
Phyllostachys heterocycla f. pubescens "Moso"...
vancleaveterry
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Sponsored Products
Hand-Tufted Meadow Ivory/ Green Wool Rug (9'3 x 13)
Overstock.com
Hinkley Lighting | Cordillera Pendant Light
$849.00 | YLighting
"Triad" Original Oil Painting - MULTI COLORS
$1,565.00 | Horchow
Robert Abbey Albert 8 3/4" Wide Bronze and Glass Pendant
Lamps Plus
9'x12' Handmade Geometric Design Bamboo Silk Modern Oriental Rug Sh19466
1800 Get A Rug
Chooty & Co. Believe Fleece 12.5 x 19 in. Decorative Pillow - Charcoal Multicolo
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Picolo Polished Chrome One-Light LED Mini Pendant
$144.00 | Bellacor
Klus B1890 - EX-ALU series Edge Lit Channel
Super Bright LEDs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™