Hi :) My First Post, Need Help With Plant ID

haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)April 20, 2008

Hi :)

I'm Tanya, have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks or so and look forward to what I will be able to learn here.

There is a plant that is in the common areas of my neighborhood whose name I would like to know. I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but it is a tall open/airy shrub with gray/green leaves and blooms in the late summer or fall with lovely brilliant white blooms. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

Another question is, does anyone grow the California Wild Grape (Vitis californica)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teesaz(9bAZ)

Could it be sage? I know they have all different types with the blooms ranging from pink, purple and white.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 10:49PM
desertrubble(z9 AZ)

I have no clue about your ID you need, but I'm growing "roger's red", a form of the grape you asked about.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 11:46PM
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

Not a sage, this shrub has a very open and airy habit. Some in my neighborhood are a little taller than the walls. Also they bloom late in the season -- in the fall.

azreo, how well does your vine do in our climate? I have one coming and will have to plant it now. Not the ideal time I know. Hopefully I will be able to get it through the summer. In what exposure do you have yours?

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 12:05AM
desertrubble(z9 AZ)

I think it will do fine! Mine is planted against a south facing concrete wall although it does get late day shade. They can handle full sun and dry conditions here in the valley very well once established. Mine is full of baby grapes at the moment :)

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 8:53AM
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

"Mine is full of baby grapes at the moment :)"

That's so exciting! :) (we gardeners get excited over the funniest things don't we). I'm really looking forward to the fall display too.

On that other plant, I just went driving in the neighborhood and see that it is blooming now. I'll go to the nursery later today to see if I can find out what it is. :)

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 1:40PM
desertrubble(z9 AZ)

lol Yes, and yet somehow my DH is never amused.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 4:12PM
aztreelvr

I think the plant you are describing is Little Leaf Cordia (Cordia parvifolia). It makes a great landscape plant and it's crisp white flowers are a bonus. It can grow to 6' x 6' so give it ample room.

I've grown the Roger's Red grape for several years now. It has great fall color but the fruit is strictly ornamental (small, seedy). I'll try to post a photo to the gallery.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 6:28PM
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

Cordia is right :) Thanks for the help. They do seem to be blooming now. I don't know why I had the impression they bloomed in the fall... maybe because the flowers are more outstanding then?

The birds might like the grapes :) Or I could try juicing them if they're tasty/sweet and abundant enough otherwise.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 8:10PM
desertrubble(z9 AZ)

Yep, I'm growing mine for the birds.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Desert Botanical Garden Spring Sale
FYI, their Bi-Annual Plant Sale is this weekend... Link...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
Tree ID - white trunk and
There's a few of these growing along the south side...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Sponsored Products
Dimmable Pyramid Himalayan Rock Crystal Salt Lamps for Living Room, Bedroom
ParrotUncle
Area Rug: Contempo Light Multi 7' 8" x 10' 10"
Home Depot
Troy Lighting Amherst Restoration-Vintage Outdoor Post Lamp
1800Lighting
Summerhouse Rug 3' x 5' - MULTI COLORS
$375.00 | Horchow
Barstool Arm Chair in Fuchsia
$189.99 | Dot & Bo