Why is my indoor banana tree unhappy? with pictures

bodhiblinkJanuary 11, 2009

Please hit me with any advice you have on making this tree green and happy again. It's indoors in a well lit room with central heating at cool room temperature. The plant is not in a heater draft. The pot drains within moments of me watering, so I assume the soil is draining well enough. I don't leave water in the bottom tray and I haven't watered in about two weeks. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knotz(8/PNW SWWA)

I'm sorry but your links don't work :(

knotz

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 9:30PM
bodhiblink

ooops I forgot to capitalize the file names... anyway, they work now! thanks. still looking for advice...

-bodhi

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 1:59AM
mcbdz(8 Louisiana)

Just a guess, too little light. Could be too much or too little water also.
Pattie

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 9:48AM
knotz(8/PNW SWWA)

I have my 2 in a west facing window and bottom water only when they're almost dry...They are growing like crazy!!..I also put bubble wrap around the pots, not sure if that's helping hold heat in or what.

Mine look fantastic, so I'm thinking your's aren't getting enough light...Just my guess.

knotz

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 12:10PM
bodhiblink

I've never heard of bottom watering, but I'll give that a try when it's time to water again. Thanks! Also, is it possible for them to get too much direct sunlight or not? I'll get it closer to real windows.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 3:03PM
scijox(6)

I had a similar issue with my indoor Musa Basjoo. I just found out that the problem is due to mites. Check your plant EXTREMELY closely (use a magnifying glass if u need) and look for these tiny little bugs. I had no idea I had any and now I realize mine is COVERED! They make little silk strands too which should help u find them. Someone suggested this to me a while ago on another forum and I was like "I don't see anything" but I didn't look hard enough.

Hope you make your banana happy again!

-James.

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 4:40PM
daryljurassic(OHIO 6a)

Could be spider mites. Try to routinely spray all sides of the leaves with a drop of liquid soap added to your sprayer. Remove the dead leaves

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 1:27PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Regarding spider mites, for years I used a variety of different outdoor and indoor insecticides but always ended up with a terrible infestation of mites each year. This year I switched to an insecticidal soap, and have not had any problem with mites! I have about 4 ensete (one 15' tall) and 3 musa (Texas star) and despite 60% humidity in the house, they all tend to get a little yellowing around the edges of the oldest leaves for some reason. Not sure is it's because of age, lack of bright light, or something else, but the overall health of the plants are great, so maybe you're OK as long as there are no mites.

Kevin

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 12:09PM
beachbum_nj(N.J. z7)

These are pictures of my Musa that I bring into my house every year. I give it a good watering once a week. It is in a north-west corner of my room. It gets light, but not good sunlight. As you notice, the leaves will start to turn yellow and then crispy brown. When it gets to the point that I don't like the brown leaf, I cut it off. So far, each plant has produced 2 new leaves. They grow slowly indoors. In the spring I will then return it outdoors. All you have to do is keep it alive and it will do great when you take it back out....Good luck

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 1:27PM
knittlin(8b)

I could be wrong since I've never tried to keep a banana indoors so it might be something I don't know about, but your plant's leaves look exactly like my houseplants' when they get a buildup of salts in the soil from fertilizing. When I start to see leaves like that, I give the entire pot a good washout by taking it outside (or putting it in the shower) and running water through the soil for about half an hour to wash it out. If that doesn't fix it, I repot with fresh soil.

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 9:03AM
banana_fun

Your banana plant looks fine to me. Older leaves yellow, if you don't like the yellow leaves, cut them off.

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 5:03PM
islandbreeze

Could be a salt build up as stated above. Another member in the palm forum recommended that every time you water, water thoroughly so that you see water come out of the bottom of the pot, and when water accumulates in your saucer, empty it. Don't let plants sit in standing water.

BUT...It looks even more like a mite infestation to me. I have a 9 foot Musa Ice Cream that got mites last summer. The leaves looked exactly like that, older leaves looking like the green is being sucked out of them from the edges in. A little dish soap and a lot of water in a sprayer should take care of the problem. Mites hang around the underside of the leaves. Take a look, mine were tiny red things, almost looked like dust.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 7:59PM
tsmith2579(7B)

They look as good as the bananas in my greenhouse. Have you ever noticed you seldom see a banana tree used as an indoor plant in the malls? Why? Because they are tempermental when indoors for us amateurs. I think yours are OK. Check them for bugs and wait another 40 days when you can begin to put them outside again.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:31PM
jimhardy

I agree with bananafun and tsmith,yout plants look fine,if anything maybe just dry heated winter air in the house,they can go back outside soon so no worries.
I don't believe you have spidermites because they usually make the leaves blotchy and bleached out looking but it never hurts to check,I think they look good for being inside

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 12:05AM
indoorbananatree

The Indoor Banana Tree plant is gorgeous and smells as good as it looks not to mention the tropical feel it will add to your decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Banana Tree

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 5:20AM
123_jumpstreet_net

Have you tried talking to it. Sometimes when I'm unhappy having a good friend to talk to helps a lot. Just let it know you care and it will come around sooner than you think.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 2:05AM
plantfreak61

I have a couple of potted Bananas that are off-shoots of what would have been a three year old this year.
I bring them in every winter and they do just fine growing in the north window of my home. One of the two has six new shoots(About 12+ inches tall) the other has three. My only problem I do have with them is they get spider mites. I have treated with Neem oil since I am unwilling to treat with any other pestiside. They are in Misco Plant Spa self watering pots that are filled weekly from the bottom and use all the water each week.
The only browning I have on my plants leaves are the result of the mites. Check your plants to see if that may be the problem or else try more water since they tend to be a very thirsty plant.
Good Luck.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 9:44AM
angelikastyl

My indoor banana plant has been exhibiting the dry, brown ends in the pix posted above. Come to find out, months later, that, yes, in fact, there are mites. I am freaking bc my palm had the same last year, and now it's down to a few leaves. :( I will "shower" the banana to lose some of the mites, although, I understand that they live on the underside and to drain the soil that it lives in. I have spritzed the palm with above-mentioned dish soap (but it's supposed to be a soap that does not have...something, anybody?) And I guess I will cut off the leave that are painful looking. Any further advice?

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™