Remove pups while blooming?

terrisoflaJanuary 30, 2008

I have 2 dwarf Cavandish that I planted last summer and each has about 6 pups. I was getting ready to remove some and give them to friends when I noticed a swelling on one that may be the start of a bloom (not sure because I've never grown bananas before). It's right where the leaves normally shoot straight up. Question is, will it do anything to the bloom if I remove the pups now? Don't want to mess up my first banana crop! Thanks, Terri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

Pup removal near or during blooming has adverse affects on size and quantity of fruit, esp in the Cavendish family.

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 11:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrisofla

Thanks for your reply. I decided to remove pups only from the plant that isn't getting ready to bloom and leave that one alone. And, the one that I thought might be starting to bloom is definitly starting. I'm so excited to be getting a bloom already. I only planted them about 8 months ago and they were very small. Didn't expect this so soon. How long does it take to go from this "swelling" in the leaves to actually eating the fruit? Terri

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
banana stopped growing without fruit. should i cut it down?
my second go around of growing dwarf cavendish inside....
johndoug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™