Bamboo companion planting

MiaOKCMarch 9, 2014

Hello! We are mid-renovation of our pool area in the backyard in zone 7. Part of the renovation is getting the bamboo beaten back into a more manageable area (neglected by a former owner and it had run all over the yard), and installing a barrier along at least part of its run. We're pushing the poolside retaining wall back five feet, so in some areas we will have bamboo right up to the wall (with the barrier on the backside of the wall) but further along we will have a space between the er bamboo and the wall for some more plantings. I want things hardy to zone 7 and "clean" to keep leaves and blooms from dropping in the pool. I've got an Asian pear tree in the bamboo already, and between it and the bamboo I have plenty of skimming to do - don't want to add more. I think tropical-looking plants will look best with the bamboo backdrop, maybe cannas and banana trees? Any other suggestions or pictures of other possibilities? I have yellow groove bamboo.

Last summer, previous location of retaining wall:

Last year - the wall is being relocated just about to the base of the bamboo here:

This pic shows the overview a little better. The framing on the far side of the pool is the new wall's location. On the left, there is about 6' deep x 20' long empty area behind the wall until you get to the bamboo. That's where I can plant other items. I also plan to put some kind of fountain in that area.

I know I could let the bamboo fill in all the way to the wall (similar to this rendering) but since I have about 100'+ running along our suburban lot I think I have plenty and would like some variety.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TreeSpeak101

I think adding some variety would be a better choice in the long run, but that's just my opinion.
Bamboo is a beautiful decorative choice, but too much of it can be excessive.
Yellow generally compliments the look of Bamboo, but the exact type of plant you would want to use is up to you. There's a website called "bamboogarden.com" that might be of some use to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: TreeSpeak101.com

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™